Wow, what an intense, full week it was. It’s been a while since I was so immersed in studying and drawing. Brief recap of this week’s art endeavors:
Just one painting this week, like I planned. I am very happy on Sundays because it’s my “soft pastel day”. I realized some time ago that I must make time for pastels, not just because it takes a while to set up and tear down, but also because I really do my best when unhurried.This week I attempted to draw a still life from a composition I threw together on a whim. I enjoyed working with all the greens and orange hues.
2. Make Art That Sells (my MATS adventures can be seen on instagram under the tag #greenrainartmats): MATS Home Decor class has had its first week. Wow, what a ride it was. We learned about home decor items made from metal and techniques most often used.
I had tremendous fun putting together a lookbook of metal home dec pieces. I had fun looking at objects inside my house.
It also made me turn my gaze back to my native region, because there are so many wonderful metal crafts there. Such as Kasli cast iron, Zlatoust steel engraving and Nizhny Tagil tray painting.
Our assignment asked us to work with birds and then create a collection of metal objects with our preferred color scheme/trendboard in mind. That was such a challenge, I started with drawing some realistic and fantasy birds with watercolor and markers.
I then tried to make a set of tins with them, and it didn’t feel right, or rather I wasn’t sure of I will be able to create a cohesive collection in all 5 substrates, so I switched to my beloved folk style.
I sketched main shapes in marker and filled them in digitally. I The result is romantic and sweet collection. I chose not to create a “finishing notes” page this time around, as I was anxious to just finish the assignment. Maybe next time. By the way, I added a special page to the blog where I will put all of my home dec creations.
I also finally received a cosmetic case I drew for Mats A “Gift Industry assignment”. It is available via society6 . I ordered a small one this time, but as soon as I can I will get the medium too.The photo doesn’t do it justice, I have been quite happy with society6 print quality so far.
3. I continue my adventure in watercolor with doodlewash challenge.
4. For #greenrainartfromlife I was catching up to last week and drew a…plastic food container. The theme was “plastic” and I felt like I just want to do something simple for once
5. I made another collage for my upcoming calendar. Find all of my collages on instagram under #greenrainartcollage
6. Illustrated Journal continues (See all on instagram under #greenrainartij )
I also did a review of Foundations in Drawing book on my other blog. Check it out please if you’re interested.
Have a lovely mid-August, everybody!
As always, please find me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Etsy